Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Wool Duvet Inner - from our own sheep!

If you know anything about me by now, it is that I love to utilise the produce from our 20acres, in whatever way I can.  This latest endeavour was replicated from a "Homesteaders Guide" US website. Once your sheep are sheared, you wash the wool, and then card it into batts using a drum carder.  This is then laid into a muslin cover and tacked together.  I had a bit of trouble with the muslin (as you will see from the pix),  When I pinned the wool batts in, the muslin caught in the pins, and also it was so "stretchy" that it was difficult to both tack and machine sew.  Next time I would use proper sheets and put the wool between those.

However, I am so proud, as now I have a Wool Duvet Inner, soft, warm and from our own merino sheep.  You can't get much more wonderful than that.

The wool is lovely to work with, and smells divine!