Saturday, June 14, 2014

Sausage Making - inspired by a fellow blogger

I follow a blog by a lady who's daughter goes to school with my daughter.  She writes http://lifesentenceblock.blogspot.co.nz/ and I was totally inspired to see she had been making sausages!

Mark and I have talked about sausage making in the past, but with expensive $600 grinders and expensive plastic casings and it put me off when we got a book of recipes with added saltpetre and all sorts.  

But with the wonders of the internet I was able to buy a $74.99 sausage maker/grinder, and $15 casings from thecasingboutique http://www.thecasingboutique.co.nz/ and after thoroughly reading the blog by Debbie I felt armed enough to get going.


We used:

2kg Beef and Lamb, mixed in a random amount (about half and half)
500g Lamb Fat cut off chops
40g salt
a cup of mixed rosemary and thyme
1/2 c water
1/2 c red wine
2 cloves garlic
Pepper 
Casings: 30-32mm Hog, salted

We chopped all the meat and fat, then mixed in the salt and herbs and put it all through the grinder on coarse.  Then we hand massaged in the remaining water/wine and put it through on coarse into the casings.


This mixture made 435cm (4.35m) of sausages.  They smell delicious and we are going to have some of them for dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment