Wednesday, October 16, 2013

and....how did the Boilup go?

Surprisingly well.  In fact, I really liked it, and so did Montana-Rose.  It wasn't such a hit with Mark, and Albie just tolerated it.

Here's what I did:

2 large packs of pork bones (pork ribs would do also, you need a bit of meat on the bones)

Put them in a large stockpot and cover with water.  Added 2t salt, some pepper, 2 dried mushrooms finely chopped and 2t dried chicken stock.  Then I simmered them for about 2 hours.

I actually let it cool off, as I had prepared it in the morning, and were eating for evening meal.

So then, about an hour before we were to eat I added
4 large carrots, chopped into about 2cm wide lengths
6 potatoes, peeled and sliced in half lengthways

Then I simmered for another 15mins, before adding
5 leaves of silverbeet, shredded
about 2cups of watercress
some chopped kale
and Doughboys (dumplings made from 2c flour, 1t BP, and some milk to mix)

This all got simmered for 15 mins more...Then we ate it.

Surprisingly, not slimy (as I thought it might be).  The potatoes were gorgeous and had taken on a lot of pork flavour.
Here is a child's portion