Monday, February 15, 2010

Oh My Goodness, Corgette Glut

What to do? What to do? I have so many corgettes we are pretty sick of looking at them. I decided it was time to get real and find some new ideas on how to use this great vege while there are so many.

Freezing them doesnt seem to be an option, they go soggy and disgusting...so I turned to my new favourite book "A Cottge Garden Cook Book" by Charlotte Dann. Really, it's how to feed your family off the standard NZ quarter acre section. Here is her suggestion, which I made with some success:

Sour Cream Corgettes
2 or 3 Corgettes, grated...put a slosh of olive oil and 1 clove of garlic (crushed) into a pot and stir around till corgettes are lightly fried. Too much cooking, I have discovered, results in sloppy stuff. Stir in 1 teaspoon or so of soy sauce. Plate up and put a good tablespoon of sour cream on top.

Also we tried these:

Corgette Rosti
Grate 2 Corgettes and 2 Potatoes. Put into a bowl and press with paper towel to get rid of excess moisture. Add one egg and salt and pepper. Stir up. Put spoonfuls in hot oil and press down with a spatula. Fry till golden, then flip and fry on the other side. Great with sweet chilli sauce and sour cream or cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment