Sunday, February 20, 2011

Red Chilli and Pepper Relish

I first tasted this fiery relish at my friend Jan de Voer's house, she had these marvelous jars of red, jammy, sticky, hot relish which we ate with cheese on crackers, with a devine result.  The original recipe comes from the books "Beach Bach Barbeque" or something similar, however I put more chillis in just because I like hot food.

Today, I put my hand to it:

RED CHILLI AND PEPPER RELISH

4 Large Red Capsicums
2 Onions, peeled and chopped roughly
1 large fresh red chilli, deseeded (I used 3!)
3 cloves Garlic
2c White Vinegar
800g sugar
salt to tast
2 kaffir lime leaves (or a lemon leaf from your lemon tree will do nicely)
1 bay leaf

Put the capsicums, onions, chillis and garlic in a food processor and whizz till the whole lot is a pulp.  Put pulp into a saucepan and add vinegar.  Cook about 20mins, then add the sugar, about 1t salt and the leaves.  Cook about 30 mins till thick.  Spoon into steralised jars.  Makes about 5 cups.


Will keep for 1 year while in the jar, and about 6 weeks in the fridge after opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment