Tuesday, March 19, 2019

On Bees and Pony Poo

My blog has not been at the forefront of my life.  But life has been continuing onwards, with all the usual bumps in the road.

Recently an amazing local from the internet delivered a huge pile of shit (well, pony poo) for FREE.  In return I gave them tomatoes, capsicums and whatnot from the garden.

They said I can get a trailerload a week!  This will really help to improve the quality of our soil. Our land is on a river plain, and is full of stones which means it is very free draining, and when it is hot the stones heat up and everything dehydrates very quickly.

Poo will add texture and nutrients.  I just need to get it all spread out, which is quite a job with the wheelbarrow.

I started by shovelling it round all my fruit trees, in preparation for the wet we get in the winter. Water will soak the nutrients down, and hopefully not burn the roots.


Bees have arrived at Winderose House. Over the mid summer we caught 6 swarms. Three of them have survived and are thriving, much to my delight. My neighbour has empty hives and I have the will, so between us we have managed to get them up and going. It's been an exciting learning curve. I now have a bee suit. Cue the silly picture of me looking like an astronaut.

Rogue comb full of bees, made before we knew what we were doing They made this in 1 week!




No comments:

Post a Comment